Seeking a New Executive Director- Search Underway
The Newburyport Art Association (NAA) is a cornerstone of the vibrant arts community in the historic seaport city of Newburyport, Massachusetts. Our mission is to serve our 600 artist and non-artist members as well as the surrounding community by providing exhibition, education and outreach in the visual arts. We are seeking an energetic, creative, Executive Director who will continue the development and implementation of our mission and help us to grow as one of the top cultural organizations in the area.
The Executive Director has overall operational, fundraising, programming, and marketing responsibility for the NAA operations. Working in collaboration with the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will ensure that the NAA adheres to its mission statement and that strategic plans are effectively implemented. In addition, the Executive Director acts as the public face of the NAA, interacting frequently with community members, media, business leaders, elected officials, residents, visitors and other nonprofit leaders, in administering the mission and projects of the NAA.
Over the next twelve months, the NAA will be engaging in two exciting projects: a rebranding image to create a more contemporary look and feel to the organization, and the creation of a second location that will double our art education offerings.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure on-going programmatic excellence in our full schedule of gallery exhibitions and educational arts programs, with rigorous program evaluation and recommendations, based on strategic goals.
- Supervise NAA staff to ensure consistent quality of operations, calendar of exhibitions, receptions and education programming, finance administration, communications, and fund-raising.
- Plan and execute fundraising and community outreach events with attention to the development and management of timelines and budgets.
- Actively engage and energize NAA volunteers, exhibition jurors, board members, committee chairs, partnering organizations, and donors in the programming activities.
- Develop and execute individual giving and corporate sponsorship campaigns.
- Support and maintain a strong Board of Directors, and seek and build board involvement with strategic direction for both ongoing and long-term operational goals.
The Executive Director’s role is multidimensional, requiring interaction with staff, the Board, members, volunteers and local and regional collaborating organizations. Requirements include:
- A bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible senior management experience. Nonprofit leadership experience and/or experience in an arts organization is preferred, though not required.
- Demonstrated success in running an organization, including grant writing, financial management, governance, staff development and supervision.
- Interest in art and alignment with the mission and vision of the NAA.
- A proven track record of success working with non-profit boards, staff, communities, and major donors to achieve goals.
- Leadership skills including the ability to empower, engage, and motivate staff, volunteers, and the Board.
- Strong interpersonal skills to work effectively with a diverse membership of artists and patrons.
- Experience in engaging with internal and external communities served by the organization including current partners, galleries, and local philanthropic organizations.
- Strategic planning, project management, and operations experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and a demonstrated ability to identify and creatively solve problems.
- Demonstrated competence with social media/social networking and other marketing tactics necessary for the implementation of the marketing plan.
- Proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook required; facility with PowerPoint a plus.
Please submit a letter of interest describing your background, pertinent skills and why you believe you would be a successful candidate for the position. Include a resume of your education and work experience and provide a personal email and phone number where we can contact you. Please send your application to:
Nicole Nadeau, Board President
Newburyport Art Association
65 Water Street
Newburyport, MA 01950
Newburyport and the Art Association
The Newburyport Art Association (NAA) is a 501(c)(3), founded in 1948 and is dedicated to promoting and exhibiting our members’ work, to providing art education for students of all ages and skills, and to keeping the visual arts accessible to all. Our outreach operations provide art exhibition and education in numerous community sites such as schools and assisted living facilities. Located in a historic building at 65 Water Street, in the seaport community of Newburyport, Massachusetts, today the NAA is recognized as the cornerstone of greater Newburyport’s vibrant arts scene with 600 artist and non-artist members from around the region. Our artists specialize in sculpture, painting, drawing, photography and any form of mixed media.
Newburyport is a coastal, scenic, and historic city situated 35 miles northeast of Boston at the mouth of the Merrimac River. The population of approximately 18,000 supports a vibrant arts and cultural scene including a downtown cultural district where the NAA is located. A historic seaport with an active tourism industry, Newburyport includes part of Plum Island just 1.5 miles from downtown, with snow-white sandy beaches stretching into the Atlantic Ocean. Home to the US Coast Guard, the city shares a rich maritime history and boating continues to be a favorite pastime. Newburyport is on a major north-south highway, Interstate 95. The outer circumferential highway of Boston, Interstate 495, passes nearby and U.S. Route 1 traverses Newburyport on its way north. The MBTA commuter rail from Boston’s North Station terminates in Newburyport allowing easy commuting access to Boston for work or pleasure.
Very few cities are so rooted in American history and alive today as Newburyport, Massachusetts. Travelers from near and far come to experience our inspiring architecture, and our assortment of fantastic restaurants, shops, theaters, museums, beaches, nightlife and wildlife ― all passionately supported by hundreds of successful business owners, artists, designers, musicians, chefs, historians, and residents alike. Whether it’s the Annual Yankee Homecoming festival which brings in over 30,000 visitors annually, Riverfest which attracts internationally known bands and over 10,000 guests or the more local Art in the Park or Summertime Waterfront movie nights, the eclectic mix of historic New England seaport charm, upscale style, and just the right amount of hometown feel is what makes the area a desirable destination for anyone seeking a place to call home.
Check out these great site to find more information about Newburyport, town history, events or organizations, our You Tube Channel or the In the Press section of our website: Newburyport Art Association.